I am glad to inform you that TightVNC 2.0.3 is available for download. The files can
be downloaded here:
TightVNC 2.0.3 is a bugfix release, it corrects a number of various problems reported
by TightVNC users. Also, it introduces new "error handler" which allows saving
memory dumps on critical errors in TightVNC Server. Such dump files can then be sent to
TightVNC developers for quick bug resolution.
Below you can find the list of changes in the new release.
Below you can find the list of changes in TightVNC 2.0.3, as compared to the previous
Part 1. Changes in TightVNC Server
- Fixed a bug which prevented file transfers from working properly under Windows 2000.
- Introducing new "error handler" which allows saving memory dumps on critical
- In systems with swapped left and right mouse buttons, remote mouse events will be
adjusted accordingly. As a result, the remote mouse should work just like the local one.
- Fixed a number of problems led to errors on setting service passwords from the
- Not allowing to enter administrative passwords longer than eight characters. This
limitation is caused by using standard DES-based VNC-compatible authentication. Previous
versions used only the first eight characters anyway but it was possible to enter longer
passwords and that could confuse users who did not know about the limitation.
- Fixed a problem with injecting lowercase characters when CapsLock was on on the
server. Previous version generated uppercase characters when CapsLock was on, regardless of
the Shift state.
- Implemented a special trick to bypass the problem with generating "^6" instead
of "6" when using US International keyboard layout. It looks like there is a bug
in Windows so we could do nothing better than to cook a workaround specifically for this
- Fixed clipboard handling with multiple client connections. Previously, clipboard contents
might not be sent to particular clients in certain circumstances.
- Adjusted log verbosity levels for log messages generated by the control interface
connection, so that such messages will not overload the log any more.
- Improved support for simple RFB clients that cannot handle desktop size changes.
- Made minor adjustments in the user interface. Specifically, the "About..." form
has been cleaned up, and a typo has been corrected in the Configuration window.
Part 2. Changes in TightVNC Viewer
- Fixed a number of problems with keyboard handling: preventing modifier keys from being
stuck on switching to/from the viewer window; distinguishing left and right modifiers
properly; sending arbitrary Unicode characters even if they were not defined in the
original X11 protocol; and sending correct codes for the keys on the numeric keypad.
- Ctrl-Alt-Del combination should not depend on current ScrollLock state (which normally
toggles Alt key to Meta key conversion).
- Fixed an issue with not sending update requests after choosing Minimize then Maximize on
the viewer window (as opposed to the Minimize/Restore sequence which always worked
- Fixed a number of problems with saving and restoring connection options.
- Fixed user interface logic in the Options window. There were incorrect dependencies
between compression-related controls.
- Improved phrasing for a number of error messages and log records in the file transfer
Part 3. Changes in the Source Code Distribution
- Visual Studio 2010 is now supported, upgraded solution and project files are included in
the source distribution. Versions for Visual Studio 2008 are included as well.
TightVNC is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License
version 2. However, that's not the only licensing option available. We offer
commercial source code licenses to let you use our code in your proprietary products.
Please see more information here.
With Best Wishes,